Cooking with Cannabutter: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with ‘Pot O’ Gold Cookies’
While St. Patrick’s Day may be notorious for binge drinking it should come as no surprise that many of us prefer to celebrate with a different kind of green. If that happens to be more your speed, then these Pot O’ Gold Cookies made with homemade cannabutter are sure to hit the spot this St. Patty’s Day.
Think that cooking with cannabis might be too complicated, time consuming or frustrating as you try to find the perfect bud-to-butter ratio? Good news – Evergreen Organix has you covered with their Homemade Cannabutter, ready for you to use in any number of recipes, including this sweet holiday treat!
1 cup (softened) Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup finely chopped almonds, toasted
Dash of salt
2 cups confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk (add as needed)
Green food coloring
1. In a large mixing bowl cream your cannabutter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in milk and vanilla and almond extracts.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, almonds, and salt.
4. Gradually add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture and mix well.
5. Shape into a 10-inch roll (wrapped with plastic wrap) and refrigerate overnight (or freeze for minimum 2 hours).
6. Unwrap and cut into ¼ inch slices.
7. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 14-16 minutes.
8. Move cookies to a wire rack to cool after baking, cool completely before icing.
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Decorate cookies as desired – pro-tip – use disposable bakery bags (or a plastic baggie with the corner snipped off) to create the 3-leaf clover design!
With this recipe there is a lot of room for variations – if you’re not a fan of almonds you can use ground pecans or finely chopped walnuts instead.
Creatively, you can go all out with decorating these cookies by making more than one batch of icing – or splitting it into two or more batches before adding the food coloring. For those who like more frosting to their cookie, covering the top in a layer of green frosting with a white clover – or vice versa – will make your designs stand out more.
If you feel like this sweet treat may be too strong, or not strong enough, with the designated amount of cannabutter then feel free to adjust to your needs – and substitute with regular butter if you are reducing the amount being used.
However, if you are planning to consume edibles, then you should always keep in mind the safest steps to dosing with cannabis – start low and go slow. If you are smoking or vaping cannabis, wait until it’s started to wear down to consume an edible, and always wait 60-90 minutes before consuming any more cannabis after eating an edible. For more on how to safely dose with cannabis you can check out our guide here.
Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter is made with premium local cannabis from Las Vegas, is 100 percent solvent free, and contains 950 milligrams of THC per jar. This homemade cannabutter is the perfect choice when making your own edibles.