Cooking with Cannabutter: ‘Baked’ Mac n’ Cheese
Baked macaroni and cheese is a homemade comfort food classic that pairs well with many different meals as a side or can stand alone as a meal itself. With the addition of a little cannabutter, this comfort food could become your next party favor. This ‘Baked’ Mac n’ Cheese leaves room for you to customize to your favorite cheeses and seasonings, with a crispy and buttery breadcrumb topping.
Cooking with cannabis used to mean baking – because it was easy to grind up and decarboxylate cannabis and toss it in the brownie batter – but with cannabis infused butter your choices for stoner munchies has significantly expanded.
The best part? You don’t need to wait hours for the cannabis to infused with the butter when you use Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter!
ü 8 oz elbow macaroni pasta (uncooked)
ü 1 tablespoon Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter
ü 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
ü ¼ teaspoon salt
ü 2 tablespoons Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter
ü 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
ü 3 cups milk, warmed
ü 2 cups shredded cheese of choice
ü 1 cup shredded mozzarella (or second cheese of choice)
ü ¾ teaspoon salt
ü 4 tablespoons Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter
1. Boil macaroni according to package instructions, minus 1 minute (your pasta will continue to cook in the oven)
2. Drain, return to pot, add Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter and mix thoroughly until melted and set aside
1. Mix together Cannabutter, breadcrumbs and salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In large sauce pan or ovenproof skillet melt Evergreen Organix Homemade Cannabutter over medium heat
3. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute
4. Add 1 cup of milk and mix until the paste dissolves into the milk, add remaining 2 cups of milk and continue mixing (with fork or whisk) until lump free
5. Mix in salt and any other seasonings of your choice
6. Cook while mixing for 5-8 minutes, or until thickened to a creamy consistency
7. Remove from the stovetop and add your cheeses, stirring well – the cheese does not need to thoroughly melt in this step
Assemble for Baking:
1. Pour sauce into the pot you set aside with the macaroni, and mix thoroughly
2. Pour macaroni noodle and cheese sauce mixture into a baking dish
3. Sprinkle with breadcrumb topping
4. Bake for 25 minutes – or until the top is a light golden color
Warning: Overbaking can cause the sauce to dry up, so watch this one carefully!
Depending on your tastes, you may want to include optional additional seasonings such as onion powder (recommended ½ teaspoon) or garlic powder (recommended 1 teaspoon), black pepper (recommended ¾ teaspoon).
If you want to make a bigger batch you can get a 16 oz (1 lb.) box of elbow macaroni noodles and double the ingredients for the cheese sauce and breadcrumb topping!
Other ideas for additional stir-in ingredients to maximize flavor include browned ground beef, bacon bits, or broccoli!
If you feel like this dish may be too strong, or not strong enough, with the designated amount of cannabutter then feel free to adjust to your needs – and substitute with regular butter if you are reducing the amount being used.
However, if you are planning to consume edibles, then you should always keep in mind the safest steps to dosing with cannabis – start low and go slow. If you are smoking or vaping cannabis, wait until it’s started to wear down to consume an edible, and always wait 60-90 minutes before consuming any more cannabis after eating an edible. For more on how to safely dose with cannabis you can check out our guide here.
Evergreen Organix Homemade Cananbutter is made with premium local cannabis from Las Vegas, is 100 percent solvent free, and contains 950 milligrams of THC per jar. This homemade cannabutter is the perfect choice when making your own edibles.